:: Update ::
This process has gotten much easier, you can now use software update to get AIR 2 as well as Flash Player 10.1 in Flash Builder… check out this post.
Adobe AIR 2 and Flash Player 10.1 were released on June 10th, 2010. It’s an exciting time. This weekend I decided to do some development on AIR 2 to try out some of the new features.
On the Adobe AIR Team blog’s post they mention that the free standalone download of the AIR 2 SDK will be available on Tuesday, June 15th… but I wanted to play with the SDK today.
So I went over to the Adobe AIR labs page and downloaded the AIR 2 Release Candidate SDK which is –> here.
You can download the released SDK from –> here
After downloading the Adobe AIR 2 SDK, I followed the directions on the release notes which explained how to overlay the AIR 2 SDK with my current version of Flex 4.
I’m on a mac, here are the commands I used in Terminal:
cd /Applications/Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4/sdks/
cp -r 4.0.0 4.0.0AIR2
cp ~/Downloads/air2_rc1_sdk_mac_051110.tbz2 4.0.0AIR2
tar jxvf air2_rc1_sdk_mac_051110.tbz2
I then added a new SDK to the installed SDK’s inside of Flash Builder:
Now, I already had an Adobe AIR application project set up, and I switched over to the new SDK the I installed:
However, when I tried to run my AIR application, I ran into this error:
VerifyError: Error #1014: Class IIMEClient could not be found.
After doing a bit of research I found out that my Adobe AIR project’s application descriptor file wasn’t using the correct namespace for the AIR 2.0 SDK. According to the Adobe AIR 2 Release Notes:
You must update your application descriptor file to the 2.0 namespace in order to access the new AIR 2 APIs and behavior. If your application does not require the new AIR 2 APIs and behavior, you are not required to update the namespace from 1.x based namespace. To update the namespace, change the xmlns attribute in your application descriptor to: http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.0
Sure enough, I hadn’t changed my namespace from AIR 1.5.3 to AIR 2.
I made the change in the descriptor file, and now everything works perfectly.